Wells, Holkham & Thornham, 6 & 7 January 2018

We had a budget weekend on the North Norfolk coast staying just one night at Wells Youth Hostel with a night out on the town there on Saturday night.
Birdwise I pretty much dipped everything I wanted to see (Shorelarks, Cattle Egrets and Twite) and the birding was generally pretty dull. But as Belinda kept reminding me it wasn't a birding weekend!
Nevertheless I added a few yearticks on a circular walk taking in Wells and Holkham but nothing more exciting than a couple of Grey Partridges and a Sanderling! In Holkham Park we got some great views of loads of Fallow Deer and c10 Red Deer including some seriously impressive bucks with full antlers. The next day we went back with my camera but only saw the Fallows. A Tawny Owl calling in Wells that night was a welcome yeartick.

On the Sunday we had a Nuthatch, Green Woodpecker, 2 Mistle Thrushes and several Redwing in Holkham Park and very little at Thornham apart from a close Black-tailed Godwit and c3 'Scandinavian' Rock Pipits. A wander along the track at Titchwell was blustery and freezing but I did add Brambling, Spotted Redshank and a nice close Pale-bellied Brent Goose.

A week into the new year and my yearlist stands at 96


Fallow Deer

Black-tailed Godwit

'Scandinavian' Rock Pipit

          Pale-bellied Brent Goose

No comments:

Post a Comment