A lucky day - Caspian Tern and Iberian Chiffchaff, 17 May 2017

Today was one of those days when a combination of a day off, just going for it and luck all combined to good effect!
I was photographing a newly doable abandoned buidling in Norwich when news from Hickling came through. I'd not seen a Caspian Tern in the UK for a few years so decided to go for it. Upon arrival I was greeted with news that it was still there and so it was! Watching it for about 20 mins I rattled off a few distant record shots while a Cuckoo, Green Woodpecker, Cetti's Warblers, Reed Warblers, Sedge Warblers and Willow Warblers all sang. Also on Rush Hills scrape I picked out a single Common Sandpiper.

Caspian Tern

As fortune favours the brave I opted for a cross country drive over to Cley for the afternoon. I got as far as Cromer before the heavens opened but ploughed on regardless. Amazingly, I arrived at Walsey Hills to find only 1 car parked and 1 birder on site. These north Norfolk birders are fair-weather birders! I walked around the corner into the field at the back of Snipes Marsh and within a couple of minutes had a phyllosc moving through the sallows that looked promising. It showed nicely (making me regret leaving my camera in my van), worked it's way up to the top of a sallow and gave a brief burst of song. Bingo - Iberian Chiffchaff! It then flew along the rear edge of the marsh and was lost. In the next hour I didn't see or hear it again. I counted myself extremely fortunate to have scored so quickly and well with such an elusive bird. Bullfinch, Cetti's Warbler, Common Chiffchaff (annoyingly singing all the time!) plus 4 Little Egrets flying into their heronry in the wood was about it.          

No comments:

Post a Comment