Breckland specialities, 6 April 2017

After a work call in Hepworth this morning I drove through the lanes to Thetford to a roadside nature reserve where James Emerson had given me some superb directions. I found the single Breckland Speedwell plant but sadly it's lost its flower in the last couple of days! All is not lost though cos it looks like it had more flowers to come. On the same verge I got Early Forget-me-not, Little Mouse-ear, Common Mouse-ear, Common Cornsalad and Ivy-leaved Speedwell.

Next I headed south to a site I'd been given for Tree Sparrow and what a good site it was - I saw c20 with very little effort.

A roadside stop near West Stow CP was next and I'd located wild Grape Hyacinch before I'd even got out of my van. Just around the corner and I'd also scored with Oregon Grape, a weird shrub with holly-like leaves.

Further look for speedwells near Tuddenham proved fruitless so I ended the afternoon at Cavenham Heath where 3 Stone Curlews showed very nicely as did a pair of Stonechats, 2 Common Buzzards and then down by the River Lark a Kingfisher and Grey Wagtail.     

During the day Brimstone, Green-veined White, Small White, Orange-tip, Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell made up the butterflies.

Stone Curlew 
 
Green-veined White

Early Forget-me-not


Breckland Speedwell

Small Mouse-ear

Brimstone

wild Grape Hyacinth


Oregon Grape

Common Cornsalad

Common Mouse-ear

Ivy-leaved Speedwell

No comments:

Post a Comment