Early orchids and stuff, 13 May 2015

A couple of quick trips out this week to see some local(ish) orchids. The Early Purple Orchids are putting on a fine display amongst the Bluebells in Ashwellthorpe Wood with plenty of colour variation. Try as I might I couldn't find a white one like last year though! While wandering these lovely woods I also encountered a Hairy-footed Flower Bee (a new one for me) while there was also Garden Bumblebee, a few Red-tailed Bumblebees and Green-veined White, Speckled Wood and Orange Tip.

A few days ago I got a tip off about a Suffolk site for Man Orchid so today saw me there. Very pleasingly there were at least 40 spikes and some really robust ones too. I'd not seen this species for a number of years and only once before in East Anglia.

Early Purple Orchid

Early Purple Orchid

Early Purple Orchid

Hairy-footed Flower Bee

Garden Bumblebee

Green-veined White

Man Orchid

Man Orchid 

No comments:

Post a Comment