Small Red Damselflies in Norfolk, 10 June 2014

Norfolk (and indeed East Anglia) has just one site for the dainty Small Red Damselfly. I'd not visited the site for many a long year. Although I knew the site it was so long ago that I had to ask for some specific directions!
On site they were easily found and are obviously emerging. In all I saw c20 of which most were teneral specimens, luckily I did also find a couple of nice males to photograph. I was also most grateful for the advice to take my wellies! There were a few Large Red Damselflies in the same spot plus loads of Southern Marsh Orchids.

Small Red Damselfly

Small Red Damselfly
 
Large Red Damselfly
 
At Foxley Wood NWT later on I was lucky to find 4 Greater Butterfly Orchids (3 in flower). The first was in direct sunlight and going over but the other 2 were in the shade and in superb condition. Loads of Common Spotted Orchids of numerous colour variations were also out. A nice showy Garden Warbler was singing its head off and several Emperor Dragonflies patrolled the main ride as I enjoyed the peace and tranquility. I was the only one there.
 

Greater Butterfly Orchid

Greater Butterfly Orchid

Greater Butterfly Orchid

 
One last stop on the way back into Norwich was at Lenwade where there were loads of Red-eyed Damseflies on their usual ponds, another Emperor Dragonfly, Four-spotted Chaser, Banded Demoiselles and I managed to photograph this young female Blue-tailed Damselfly of the 'rufescens' form. Also seen while out and about today were Large Skipper, Meadow Brown, Brimstone, Small Tortoiseshell, Speckled Wood, Large White, Red Admiral and 2 early Ringlets.
 
'rufescens' Blue-tailed Damselfly
 
 
  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment