Baikal Teal, Fen Drayton, Cambs, 4 April 2014

Although I'd seen the Minsmere 1w drake back in the day I was keen to see the adult drake Baikal Teal of the last week (and probably longer) at Fen Drayton. With a Friday off today was the ideal chance so I waited for news and made the 1.5 hour drive.
Arriving at Moore Lake after a muddy walk it was on show straight away from the hide, and what a looker! The distance, misty conditions and hand-holding my iPhone to my scope are my excuses for the very poor record shot below! Regardless of its origin it was a nice bird to see. With wildfowl you never can tell but it is unringed and free-flying, duck are moving and there is another in Belgium at present. Possibly on the downside is that it isn't associating with any other ducks. In all the time I viewed it, it was on its own.

Also on the lagoon were a late pair of Goldeneye, a scattering of lingering Wigeon and other common wildfowl. A Little Ringed Plover was on a shingle spit then a bright male Yellow Wagtail on a small island straight out from the hide which was my earliest ever record. Stock Dove, at least 10 Blackcaps, 3 Common Buzzards and an early Green-veined White butterfly were the other sightings worthy of mention.     

Baikal Teal, Fen Drayton

Little Ringed Plover, Fen Drayton

No comments:

Post a Comment