You gotta roll with it! Horsey, Norfolk, 6 August 2013

I'd failed dismally to see the Roller up at Edgefield a few weeks back so another turning up at Horsey was very welcome indeed. Luckily not the panic of a Norfolk tick as I'd seen the Holkham bird back in 1987 but all that's done is make me feel really old!
This one was present on arrival feeding from low fenceposts about half a mile south of the Nelsons Head track but sadly wasn't coming close enough for any meaningful photos. The one below was all I got with my iPhone hand held to my scope!

Roller (you can see it if you squint!)


There were loads of butterflies along the tracks too with a Clouded Yellow passing by, several Dark Green Fritillaries, Small Coppers, Gatekeepers, Meadow Browns, Small Whites, Large Whites, Peacock, Small Skipper and best of all an unseasonal Swallowtail. This individual is shown below and appears to be of the 'britannicus' race but even though the species sometimes has a partial 2nd brood here this one is early for that brood and is also worn which may signify it's a migrant.

 
Swallowtail

Swallowtail

Dark Green Fritillary

Small Copper
   

No comments:

Post a Comment